quarta-feira, 3 de agosto de 2022

"The Stand", by Stephen King | My first experience with Stephen King

Holly hell, so many months have passed since i started a new entry. My reading has been slowing down a quite a bit. Will try to pick up the rhythm, no guarantees though.


**Warning: The text below might contain spoilers and a fair amount of sarcasm**
**Disclaimer: All of this is purely my personal opinion. That means that it's not worth anything for anyone but me.** 


    I will try to keep this one a lot shorter. 
 
    This book is big, ~1300 pages, but it is worth it. The beginning seems to be very slow, i would say that the first part of the book is just the "plague" starting to spread. King bombarded me with a million characters, most of them dead after a few dozen of pages. The story only really started to grip my attention when most of the world population was dead, and our characters just had to survive.
 
     Then we get to identify the "real" characters of this story, and each one of them is very interesting. For this rant, i will only focus on two of them, Harold and Tom. From all the characters in the story these two where the most interesting to me. Harold was very relatable to me, in the sense that "if i was living in a post-apocalyptic community, i would also pick the house that was isolated from the other survivor houses to live" (not as relatable in all the "kinky" shit, though). Tom, for me he is the real hero of this story (if this story can have a hero), the only one truly pure of heart. Actually reminds me of the "fool" in Gil Vicente's "Auto da Barca do Inferno", from the 16th century, the only one that is accepted into heaven.
    From the opposite side, the Dark Man, was very interesting, especially at the end. Most stories defeat the "villain" by the end, but in this one, he was not defeated, he just started again. The cycle will never end. I have been partially spoiled, so now i am even more curious to start reading the Dark Tower (in the far future, for now i have a ton of other books to read, i just wish i had more time).
 
Anyway, this was extremely short, but again... aren't we all slaves of the clock?
 
It's a masterpiece, everyone knows that and i doubt that i would add anything new. 5/5

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário